Global Service Corps (GSC), in partnership with Seminole State College offers, for the student and non-student, service-learning community development programs in Cambodia. Through this partnership, AmeriCorps alumni can apply their Segal Award towards GSC program fees, airfare, and most related expenses.
Through Global Service Corps you will be able to utilize your Segal Award to engage in enriching service while learning new skills. Additionally, you will gain a unique cross-cultural perspective through living in a Cambodian urban or rural community, a Cambodian Buddhist monastery (wat), or with a local Cambodian family in a homestay. Upon arrival in Cambodia, GSC volunteers undergo orientation and training to help you acclimate to your new surroundings, become introduced to the local language and customs, and prepare you for your project work. You will then continue with field work during the program.
For students and non-students, you may utilize your Segal Award to participate on these programs with or without academic credit.
The GSC team at our US headquarters is here to assist you in finding the right service-learning program that fits your interests and needs, while serving local communities. Contact us at our Portland, Oregon office at (503) 954-1659 or via email.
1. Choose your GSC program and ideal start date.
- View dates and rates here
2. Decide how long you want to stay and your costs.
The following expenses can be covered by the Segal Award:
- GSC program fees.
- Tuition: You don’t have to be a student but if you want to receive academic credit for your program, you will have to coordinate that with Seminole State College, GSC’s partner institution .
- Health and Travel insurance: All participants are required to obtain travel insurance for the duration of their program. (Trip Cancellation Insurance is optional but recommended)
- Seminole State processing fee of $380
The following expenses are your responsibility:
- Background checks for the Cambodia Program: Approximately $15
- Visa for all programs: $20 – $100, depending on length of stay
- GSC $300 refundable deposit, paid to GSC at the time of application and refunded at the successful completion of your program
3. When you are ready to Apply, start with the GSC application. After GSC has processed your application, you will receive information about how to start an application with Seminole State.
- GSC Application: Instructions found here.
NOTE: Both the GSC and Seminole State application processes are completed in stages. To ensure that you receive the lowest rates, you must begin early enough so you will be able to prepare and submit all materials on time. We recommend beginning at least 3 – 4 months before your trip starts. The GSC application and participant forms must be received no later than 60 days before your program starts to receive the lowest rate. If you miss this deadline, you may still participate, however the program fees increase by $300. You can apply before your Segal Education Award is finalized.
After you initiate the Seminole State College application process, the college will prepare a budget based on length of your program and other factors. This is the amount of Segal Award to be released to the college.
You are then responsible to arrange to have your Segal Award released to Seminole State. If the total cost of your program exceeds your education award, you can cover any additional costs. Program fees, including part or all of your airfare, not covered by your education award may be tax deductible to the full extent of the law. Consult your tax advisor for full details. Contact GSC if you wish to receive a fundraising packet.
- AmeriCorps page for how the payment process works found here.
4. Start preparing for your international service experience!